Don't let everyone else have all the fun! If you're Melbourne based and looking to get out of the city and explore all Victoria has to offer, why not escape with the kids to Lake Mountain for the weekend? We went up for a weekend during the school holidays and the kids have been busting to get back there ever since.
Lake Mountain is around 2 hours drive from Melbourne which makes it a popular snow destination for families and first time snow goers. It really is a winter playground for the kids with special areas set up for snowboarding, skiing and tobogganing.
We spend both Saturday morning and Sunday morning at Lake Mountain and found this the best way to get the most out of our weekend. Each day we arrived at around 8:30am and secured a great carpark right next to the toboggan run. We spent around 4 hours each day in the snow and then drove back down the mountain for a late lunch in beautiful Marysville.
MY TOP TIPS
- Arrive before 9am to secure a car spot in the top carpark. This carpark is close to all the action and means you can hop back in the car for a quick snack and warm up before heading out again. This is especially handy with little kids who require lots of snacks, drink breaks and nappy changes.
- Pack lots of snacks and water in the car. Playing in the snow is hard work and you'll find the kids work up a big appetite.
- Book the kids in for snowboarding lessons at the Burton Ringlet park. It's $20 for half an hour and I guarantee the kids will have an absolute ball! Kids under 10yrs old can also give skiing a go for free at the Fischer Nordic Fun Park on weekends over the ski season.
- Familiarise yourself with the Lake Mountain facilities to make the most of your trip. There are Tyre slides, toboggan runs and walking tracks all waiting to be discovered.
- Dress for the climate. Thermals, outerwear and gloves are essential. Keep in mind that little kids feel the cold and the more prepared you are, the longer they will stay and enjoy the experience. I have found that good thermal socks and knitted woollen gloves under the kids ski gloves keep them nice and toasty. Dress the kids in their thermals for the drive up and then when you arrive you can pop on their Ski clothes and you're ready to go.
- Pack a few lollies in your ski jacket. These can diffuse any tantrums and have you back enjoying the snow within seconds.
- It costs $56.00 per day for non-commercial passenger vehicles with up to 10 seats and you can purchase entry at the gate on the day.
- Snow chains are occasionally required for 2 wheel drive vehicle if there has been heavy snowfall. Chains can be hired in Marysville at the base of the mountain - check the Lake Mountain website on the day to see if chains are required.
- The gates open at 7:30am and all the resort facilities such as ski hire, retail and bistro open at 8am.
We stayed at the gorgeous VIBE Hotel in Marysville and were very impressed with the hospitality and hotel facilities. Marysville is a short half an hour drive from Lake Mountain and the perfect place to base yourself for a weekend at the snow. The picturesque town is a destination in itself. The kids particularly enjoyed discovering the lolly shop and the kids park complete with lake and a flying fox.